Luther's Hymn / Nun freut euch

As I mentioned in a previous post the hymn tune called "Luther's Hymn" (in Anglican hymn books) is not used in Norway. I can not be 100% sure that it is not used, because I have not actually checked the Norwegian hymn books, but I have never heard it sung. Norwegian hymns are difficult to search because they don't name the tunes, and nothing is electronically searchable. Anyway, to make things a bit clearer, I have found some info on this tune on the internet for you. Luther's hymn is (or can be) the same as Nun freut euch, lieben Christen. The tune is composed by Joseph Klug, to be seen here. Luther wrote the words. J.S. Bach has of course harmonised it, and Bach's version (BWV 307) can be seen here and heard here. I hope this has been an enlightenment for you all, because it certainly was for me ;-)

No comments: