More Veni Redemptor...

After digging into my small collection of hymn books (with music) I discovered that the tune "Nun komm..." is given in Songs of Praise (a), my edition is from 1931. It is also given in "Koralbok for den norske kirke" (b), a Norwegian hymnbook first time published in 1926. The Norwegian tune that I was referring to in my previous post is given in "Norsk koralbok" from 1985 (c).

(a) This version is a copy of a German baroque style harmonisation, very much in the style of the Bach chorales, but not attributed to him. The performance note above the music says "slowly", and indeed the way the music is arranged invites you to play it slowly. The best part is that it sound really superb! What on earth is it that church musicians do when they throw away these really good hymn arrangements? The Anglicans are far more eager to preserve the hymn material from the time of the reformation up until Bach than the Lutherans are. Why is this? Another great hymn tune known as "Luthers hymn" is totally unknown in Norway, but in many Anglican congregations this is among the most frequent hymns sung. Why? I am tempted to say that they have a great taste in music, which is true, but that is not the reason.

(b) Then you have this retired Norwegian arrangement, harmonies corresponding in most parts to that of (a), but without the tension and fascinating bass lines. The tune is somewhat altered, according to the Norwegian tradition of ruining a perfectly good hymn.

(c) Then this later version really drags this great tune down in the mud, and runs it over with a steamroller. Now the tune has lost it's dignity, and is better played like a ridiculous dance tune. Just as well as the Church of Norway is about to formally introduce liturgical dance in their order of service (fools...).

After all this malicious damage, both to the hymn tune and to peoples minds, I am really glad that I composed this new hymn tune to my new translation. However, personally I prefer (a) for common singing. My hymn tune (and the translation) can instead be sung as an anthem.

No comments: