New Chant

And suddenly, there was a chant! I guess all the chanting I mentioned in my last post have inspired me. When it comes to composing rules I have broken almost every rule there is. I have parallel fifths, parallel octaves, soprano part suggest a G minor ending (while it is G major), and Bach would certainly never used the modulations I have used. On top of this the first half of the soprano part is almost equal to the Evening Hymn by Balfour-Gardiner. Shouldn't I have known better? How can this be any good? The fact is that I think it is. When you put words to it, the music gets a whole new meaning because Anglican chanting is driven by the words. Try it together with e.g. psalm 7 (with the RSCM pointing), and you'll see what I mean.

You'll find my new chant at the Organ Amateur Page by clicking "Music" and "Music by me". You can also access the music here.

No comments: