Evensong on BBC Radio 3

As I live in Norway, far away from heavenly Britain (to capture both England and Scotland) and the even more heavenly Evensongs in cathedrals and churches, I was happy to find out that I could listen to the Choral Evensong programme on BBC radio 3 which is scheduled at 4pm each Wednesday via the internet - anytime within a week after the braodcast. Last Wednesday was from Edinburgh, St. Mary's Scottish Episcopal Cathedral, where I experienced my first evensong ever 7 years ago. It was truly an emontional moment for me, because it has been 5 years since last time I heard those warm and rich sounding reeds of the Father Willis organ. Something special that is (tears are about to burst out of my eyes). One of the hymns was "Lord, Enthroned in Heavenly Splendour" (St. Helen), which I am also very fond of - English romantisism at it's best. Good old (or young) Simon Nieminski never fails, and now that he is in charge after many years as the assistant organist, St. Mary's choir should have a bright and prosperous time ahead. I dig you, Nieminski!

No comments: