BBC Radio 3 Evensong 23/11-05

I seem to have adapted the habit of commenting the choral evensong broadcasts on BBC 3 radio. I guess this is my way of venting my thoughts and living my dreams since the era of which point in time I lost contact with St. Edmund's Church Choir and Anglican music. Once you have got a taste of the real thing, it is impossible to go back. That's Anglican church music.

And this very Wednesday, this glorious Wednesday, Truro Cathedral excels the realm of radio waves with thier oustanding singing, delicate organ accompaniment (partly thanks to the wonderful Father Willis organ). Of all big and famous cathedrals that have presented their doubtful evensongs on Radio 3 this autumn, Truro stands out like an angel in crowded ancient streets of Gomorrah. Congratulations, Truro!

The introit "View Me, Lord" by Richard Lloyd was one of Mr. A. Smith's specialities (Mr. Smith conducted St. Edmunds Church Choir in Oslo when I was a member of the choir Sept. 2000 - Dec. 2003). I know this piece of music quite well. The Truro Cathedral Choir sang it with divine voices, I am sure.

I think I will refrain from describing this Evensong any further, because I cannot find the adjectives. If only all Evensongs were this good...

No comments: